Monday, July 29, 2013

Adjusting to Humidity

I wake up in the morning and I am sticky.  This is despite the fact that the suite has AC and I showered the night before.  For the past 30 years I have lived in a desert climate.  Recently the humidity there actually doubled—it went from 3% to 6%.  Yeah, it’s dry.  When the humidity surpasses 20% people start complaining that it’s muggy.  Matzatlan weather, with 55% humidity, is a bit of a change for us.

Since we are at the height of the Mexican tourist season, it seems that the resort doesn’t worry so much if the shuttle buses have AC.  With the coastal breezes, I’m sure that Matzatlan is much more comfortable than where these vacationers came from.  I look at the Mexicans on the bus with me and I wonder if they are as wet and sticky as I am.  Do their bodies adjust or are they simply used to it?

And then there’s the hair issue.  Mexican hair is much thicker than mine.  Most women seem to keep theirs long, often putting it up.  I look at my fine, short hair in the mirror and notice that it’s developed a new style.  No amount of effort with the curling iron can convince it to stay near my head.  I can “fix” it and within minutes it is doing its own thing again.  The sides and the back wave, sticking straight out, and my bangs curl.  At least it’s somewhat symmetrical.  I have given up.

I am learning that the best way to deal with the humidity is to take frequent dips in the pool.  It works quite well.  I think I could get used to this. . .

Written on 7/23/2013





No comments: