Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Reflection on Giving Thanks

On this day of Thanksgiving, I ponder the deeper meaning.  Yes, I know about its history, about the Pilgrims and the Indians.  For the past month I have watched people post what they are thankful for each day on Facebook—laundry lists of blessings.  My pastor has encouraged me to think about this more carefully.  What does it mean to be blessed?  Does it mean that God singles me out, deciding to give me something I need or even something special?  What about the children starving in this world or those who lost their homes in the latest storm?  Does God care about them?

When we say the word “thanksgiving” we think of giving thanks.  Can we take it a step further and consider giving as part of being thankful?  What does that really mean?


God gave us the gift of life, placing us in an amazing and complex world.  We were given other beings, both human and animal, with whom to share this life.  God connects us all through love.  It is up to us to accept this gift, be thankful, and to try to live fully in God’s Kingdom.  Sure there are hard times and tragedies in this life, but there are also wonderful opportunities.  Perhaps if we are truly thankful for our lives, we show appreciation by giving and living in love.



2 comments:

Margaret Loehr said...

Well said, Debbie - things to think about.

IdahoEmptyNester said...

Thanks, Margaret. It seems like there are always more questions.