Saturday, September 20, 2014

Being Grounded

This morning I got up early and headed out to go door to door for a political campaign.  It was my first time doing this and I was tired when I returned home several hours later.  My week has been filled with evening meetings, errands, phone calls, and time on the computer for a hunger walk, two different interfaith groups, and my church team.  My head is swimming with details not yet organized.

This afternoon I needed to spend some time harvesting vegetables from my garden before watering it.  I wandered in and out of the house, thoroughly enjoying the warm, sunny day.  A squawking great blue heron flew over our stream accompanied by two ducks.  I disturbed a covey of quail on my patio and deck multiple times; they vocalized their distress at my presence and scooted off, their top-notches bobbing.  I pulled a few weeds in the strawberries.  And I found myself smiling.

I am sitting on my deck right now, in between moving the water on my garden.  A squirrel scrambles through the large maple tree above me.  I hear quail and ducks near the stream.  The sky is a beautiful, calm blue.  The air is still.  I catch my breath and I find that I am at peace.  Whenever I get overwhelmed with my busyness, I just need to go out to the garden and reconnect with the natural world.  It grounds me.













9/21/2014

No comments: