Friday, January 23, 2009

Empty Nest Again


Early on Sunday our nest emptied once again. We drove our youngest daughter to the airport for her trip back to Boston. From there we headed out in the dark towards Sun Valley. We have had an inversion in Boise and hadn't seen the sun in a while so as we moved up through the muck into the sun, it was glorious. Brilliant blue sky and sparkling snow. We enjoyed an afternoon of cross country skiing with our friends, recovered at their condo, then headed out for pizza.

Through the afternoon and into the evening, I periodically got phone calls from Erin as she dealt with a cancelled flight, rebooked, and waited and waited. She called me once she reached the Boston airport but forgot to call when she reached her room. Worried, I called her and found she was back safely. Sigh.

This time saying goodbye to her was different. In the past I always knew that I would see her again at the next break. This time we don't know where she'll be next summer because she hopes to get an internship. Returning home to Boise makes no sense because there are no jobs here for her. I don't know when I'll see her again. It made the goodbye more difficult. The short trip to Sun Valley was a wonderful break; I realized that it is time for us to live our own lives.

No comments: