Friday, July 11, 2014

The End of a Hot Day

The heat of the day has subsided and it is finally cool enough to sit outside on our deck again.  I can hear the roar of traffic in the distance but rising above that noise are the songs and chirps of our neighborhood birds.  A plane flies overhead but I can’t see it through the canopy of our large maple trees.  I hear the sputter of a neighbor’s sprinkler watering a thirsty lawn.

I love the late evenings here just before sunset.  There is a peace that has settled over everything, a relaxation after the intense heat of the day.  I came out here to find this peace for myself.  I take a deep breath and exhale, attempting to empty my mind of its clutter.  Graceful branches reach towards the sky as if searching for something.  I am searching too.



No comments: