Saturday, July 30, 2016

Retreat to Vancouver Island

My husband and I left the country during the Republican Convention.  Although that was not the reason we left, we were not sorry that we missed it.  Actually, we were disconnected from a lot of things.  While I did stay connected via email and social media, I left a lot of daily responsibilities behind.  And it was good.

We spent 5 nights on Vancouver Island near Nanaimo Bay.  We had a deck that overlooked the water.  We watched the tide go in and out.  Families played together on the grass below us.  Usually I try to see as much as possible while on vacation and there is a lot to see here.  I purposely resisted the urge to do that this time.  We took a walk along the sea wall of our resort then kept going and ended up in a nature reserve.  On another local walk we investigated the tide pools.  We took a short drive to visit some nearby beaches.  Today we took a short but very steep hike up a hill for a fantastic view of the bay.  It was worth the effort. 

The only all day outing was our trip to Victoria yesterday.  We visited the Royal BC Museum and enjoyed the short-term exhibition on mammoths.  The highlight of the day was Butchart Gardens.  Although I ended up very tired after walking through all the gardens, I was touched by their beauty.  The sunken garden, formed out of an old quarry was my favorite.  We ate dinner there and listened to a concert.  It was getting dark as we left.  The lights transformed the garden into a different place.

I enjoyed sitting on the deck reading.  It was delightful to watch the sunset while standing on rocks near the water.  Lazy mornings drinking coffee on the deck refreshed me.  Tonight we grilled dinner at the barbeque area next to the water.  We were there at sundown.

I really hate to leave tomorrow.  We have a long drive ahead of us.  I realize that I need to spend more time on my own deck at home enjoying our lovely view.  I believe that I am beginning to learn how to relax.


Written on 7/21/16


 



 


 






No comments: