Saturday, July 02, 2016

Tree Gazing

We’ve endured a string of hot days with temperatures in the 100s.  Today and yesterday are cooler—mid 90s.  I’ve been closed up in the house by afternoon, enjoying the comfort that comes with an air conditioner.  This morning I worked in my vegetable garden before it got too hot; the sun is so intense.  I was done by noon.

Right now I’m sitting on the deck in the shade.  A slight breeze causes the leaves to dance above me and makes sitting outside bearable.  I am not one who sits still easily.  People know this about me.  As I fight the urge to go back to my “to do” list, I gaze up at the trees.

A feeling of peace fills me as I study the thick canopy of intertwining maple tree branches overhead.  Birds chirp and trill, a lovely chorus that almost drowns out the traffic noise.  The highest tree branches appear to wave at the plane passing overhead.  A butterfly drifts over the deck.  The squawking of a distressed bird nearly compels me to go investigate but I remain still.

I am aware of my oneness with the living things around me.  We are all connected.  I am just one small piece in this creation and that knowledge humbles me.

Written on 7/1/2016





No comments: