Thursday, April 23, 2020

In Search of TP


When the coronavirus first made its appearance in the United States, I was amazed that the toilet paper began disappearing off the shelves.  Why were people hoarding tp?  Stores began limiting how much an individual could buy but the shelves were still emptying.  I wasn’t worried because we had a huge package of double rolls.  Surely it would last until the supply was back to normal.  I would check the shelves each time I was in the grocery store—still no tp.  Once everything started shutting down, my husband and I made the decision not to enter a store of any kind because we are both high risk.

It’s been a couple of months since toilet paper became scarce and still it is hard to get.  Where is it?  We have a factory that manufactures toilet paper in our state yet we still have empty shelves.  We have been ordering groceries online for weeks.  We can order everything but toilet paper.  Either you can’t order it at all or you order it but it is not in your order when you pick it up.

Earlier this week we were down to our last two rolls.  We placed an order with a grocery store around 4 p.m. with pickup at 9:00 the next morning (a designated senior pickup time).  I ordered tp and then added additional items just so I could make the minimum amount.  When my husband went to pick up the order there was no tp.  What do we do?

I consider myself an independent person, accustomed to taking care of myself.  And we couldn’t get something as basic as tp.  I had been asking people for tips about getting toilet paper but everybody was going into a store to buy it.  So I posted in a COVID-19 mutual aid Facebook group for my county and asked if anyone knew how to order tp for pickup.  Immediately, two women offered to buy it for me.  (Others made suggestions that I had already tried.)  I contacted the first woman for help.  By the end of the day there was a large package of tp on my front porch.  She wouldn’t accept any payment for it.  In addition, she said to let her know if we need anything else.  While we have seen some selfish behavior lately, I am totally amazed at the people who are going out of their way to help others.  I wish I could do this too, but I can’t.  I am not used to being the recipient of such kindness from a stranger.  I am so grateful.  (And I continue to get offers for toilet paper.)






No comments: