Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Quiet Halloween


Living in a neighborhood with acre lots and few kids means we never have many trick or treaters. This makes me sad because I love Halloween. I enjoy the creative costumes and the fun decorations. If we had more kids coming to our door I would go all out with decorating. Last night I pulled out a few decorations and carved a small pumpkin that I grew. For a couple of hours tonight I kept peeking out the window, looking for movement out on the street. Finally, when we had just about given up, the doorbell rang. Five kids from the large Catholic family that lives around the corner smiled and held out their bags. It was hard to see their costumes through the coats and other layers; it's very cold today. After a handful of candy for each one and a "happy halloween", they were on their way. My jack o'lantern is now inside where he is grinning at me as I sip my tea and enjoy the warmth of my home.

No comments: