Saturday, March 17, 2012

Writing Exercises


Today I attended a writers’ workshop, my very first one.  We tried a variety of exercises and prompts, learning how to summon ideas to write about from the deep recesses of our minds and hearts.  I truly found this helpful and will be using these suggestions to assist me in writing this blog.  I would like to share one below, not because I think it is particularly good, but because it is a stretch for me.  I am not a poet, probably having been damaged in my early years with requirements of rhyming and meter.  This exercise is a run-on poem asking “what if?” and was completed in just a few minutes.

What If?

What if all people
lived as if in a musical
when something made them happy
they would burst into song
and sing at the top of their lungs
and people nearby would join in
singing and dancing with joy
all the people in love
would express their feelings
without playing games
without keeping them inside
but shared honestly with their love
all the people in anguish
would cry out with songs of melancholy
letting tears flow unchecked
and people nearby would join in
or run to comfort with tissues and hugs
all the people’s stories
would have happy endings
just like my favorite musicals
and people would move on with their lives
with smiles on their faces

Well, I have a long way to go, but it’s a start.

No comments: