Sunday, July 08, 2012

Awaiting Surgery


Doctors are done with tests and consulting
Surgery’s been scheduled for over a week
The big day is upon me—tomorrow
The day I say goodbye to my gallbladder
Good riddance I say, can’t wait
I’ve been tired and uncomfortable for weeks
In preparation I’ve run errands, done chores
Worked in my yard in the heat of the day
(Who knows when I can do this again?)
Bought books for entertainment
Tried to catch up on volunteer things
Did laundry and dusted my room
Wondering how I’ll handle it all
Forty-seven years since my last major surgery
My body has changed a bit since then
Hoping I can bounce back quickly
Need to bounce back quickly
With an interview two days post-surgery
Need to head to bed soon
But will I be able to sleep?
There’s a knot in my stomach
But is it my gallbladder or fear?
When I admit that I’m anxious
I remember all the friends who are praying
Praying and thinking of me at that time
What a huge comfort that is 
If I can manage to remember

No comments: