Thursday, November 27, 2014

Gratitude

This has been a quiet Thanksgiving Day—just the two of us again.  My day revolved around cooking.  My girls are on the other side of the country and spent the day together.  Last night I got calls from both of them about recipes.  We cook a lot of the same dishes because they have wanted to continue making some of the food that has become a tradition in our family.  Somehow this is comforting to me.  We are connected across the miles through food.

It is easy to get so caught up in food preparation that we forget what Thanksgiving is all about.  It is good for us to reflect at least one day a year on what we are thankful for.  Gratitude puts our lives into perspective.  Recently I was talking to my older daughter who was in a negative frame of mind.  She had gone through a rough couple of weeks which included a night in the hospital.  She complained that everything had been going wrong for her.  I had to remind her that she had found a new job this year.  Oh yeah.  We often dwell on the negative in our lives and take the rest for granted.  For this reason it is a good idea to ponder all the things in our lives for which we are (or should be) grateful.

I am grateful for my family.  Tonight I talked to my daughters, my mother, and my mother-in-law.  I wish I could see them in person more often but I am so grateful that we can communicate by phone, e-mail, and social media.  I am glad for the technology that allows me to do this.  I appreciate the times we can spend with extended family; they are precious.

I am thankful for my good health.  I do have more problems as I get older but I can still get out and live my life.  I need cataract surgery and I appreciate how common this procedure has become.  Not only is it quick and painless, but they can implant a new lens designed just for you with your prescription built in.  It’s amazing.  Recently I had an MRI on my hand and I got to see the results.  The doctor could confirm the source of my pain and have a better idea what he is facing when he goes into surgery.  I am certainly grateful for that.  I am glad that I have health insurance that helps my pay for my medical bills and prescriptions.  I am thankful for good, caring doctors, nurses, and other health professionals.

I am thankful for my church—the people there are my family.  My husband and I have no relatives in this state but we know if we need help, there is a congregation full of loving people who will be there for us.  I appreciate the faith and wisdom of these people.  They constantly inspire me.  I have learned so much from both the congregation and the pastors who have served us.

I have never been truly hungry in my life.  I have a warm house and clothes to wear.  I have a husband who loves me and stands by me.  He is my friend and partner in life.  My life has been full of cats and dogs that are part of the family.  I know a lot of amazing, interesting people—I have been blessed by them in so many different ways.  Some are friends and some merely acquaintances but they have all touched me.

I could go on and on.  So could most people.  Even in difficult times, there is always something good to be found.  God created a wonderful world for us to experience.  I am grateful for the love that surrounds me.  I am thankful for my life.


No comments: