Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thoughts on Ferguson

Our news has been flooded with reactions to the announcement that the grand jury in Ferguson, Missouri had failed to indict Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot an unarmed 18-year-old black teenager named Michael Brown.  I feel sorry for his parents.  I am angry at the people who rioted and destroyed property.  I don’t really know what happened that day.  I haven’t read the transcripts.  I know there was conflicting testimony.  I wonder why this officer isn’t being brought to trial.

But mostly I wonder what it must be like for a mother to watch her son leave the house and worry that he won't return, to worry that he will be shot by police--for being black, for being young, for wearing the wrong clothes, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. . . As a mother I just can't imagine what it's like to be that mother.  A report by ProPublica indicates that young black males in recent years were at a far greater risk of being shot dead by police than young white men—a 21 times greater risk.  As a white mother, I don’t have to face such worry and heartbreak.


Racism is alive and well in this country.  We have to acknowledge this and do something about it.  How do we change hearts full of fear and hate?  I pray for peace and justice in Ferguson and in all the other cities in this country that fail to offer equality for all.



No comments: