Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Beginning My Adventure in Portland

I’m sitting in the chapel of an old church that was closed last summer.  The sanctuary is visible from where I sit. It’s so quiet.  The only sounds are the clicking of a clock and a train whistle in the distance.

A friend and I left the Boise area this morning and stopping only for lunch, gas, and a pit stop; we made it to Portland a little after 4 p.m.  My friend dropped me off at Peace House, a community house.  Sarah, who belongs to a church in Idaho Falls, was already there along with Pat, the resident cook.  We helped her chop up vegetables for the salad. 

Soon the house residents began to show up, along with another guest named Providence.  We learned that he was from the Congo and had come to our church conference to share his music.

After a delicious dinner and good conversation, our host drove Sarah, Providence, and me to the old church and showed us our beds.  After we were settled, he drove Sarah and me to the Jupiter Hotel for a meeting of volunteers.

We are all in Portland for the United Methodist General Conference.  This Conference is the governing body of our church and only happens every 4 years.  People come from all over the world for this meeting.  I am a volunteer for the Love Your Neighbor Coalition, a collection of groups working to make our church more inclusive.  Homosexuality is a very difficult subject and could split our church.  On our drive to Portland I learned that 111 United Methodist clergy and candidates had come out in a letter to the church.  The Reconciling Ministries Network website, where it was shared, had actually crashed after this announcement.  This is an incredibly brave step for these people.  We are waiting to see what happens next.  Many of us will be there to support them.


Written on 5/9/2016

No comments: