Friday, May 13, 2016

UMC General Conference, Day 3

Sarah needed to rest her ankle today so I was on my own.  I successfully took the bus to the convention center, chatted with a couple people, and then walked over to the LYNC lunch—baked potatoes and salad.  Afterwards I entered the convention center.  I had planned to catch the communion service but ran into a couple of pastors I know and chatted too long.  Instead I went back to the exhibit hall.  I talked to a woman with Global Ministries and she showed me a large map of where in the world our church does ministry.  Impressive!  She pointed out all of the icons representing the various areas of ministry.  There were buttons for most of them and I chose a justice one.  And of course I got a bag of stuff.  While talking to her, I heard an amazing gospel choir.  I walked over to check them out and was amazed to find they were from Denmark.

I sat and rested my feet for a while.  Today I had bandages on the bottom of my feet to cover my blisters, plus socks and walking shoes.  There was no Jericho Walk for me today.  I walked out to the grassy area where we held our flash tabernacle.  The climate vigil was being set up and I was there to volunteer.  My first assignment was to check the solar lights for the lanterns.  I was glad when we were done with that job because the sun was hot on my back.

Next I helped with the paper lanterns.  Churches from all over had sent decorated lanterns with prayers attached.  The organizers were totally overwhelmed by the response.  They had bought 600 sticks for the lanterns and they were soon gone.  Our task was to pull open the lanterns and insert the metal pieces that hold them open.  Next we added the solar lights.  There was such a variety in size, color, and design.  Some were obviously done by children while a few others looked professional.  Finished lanterns were spread around—attached to poles and bushes, laid on the ground or put in baskets.

I was preparing to take a dinner break before the event but food was brought in for us.  I love free food!  I changed into my rather large green vigil shirt.  As people arrived we invited them to take a lantern on a stick.  The program was opened by my bishop, the Oregon-Idaho Conference bishop.  The Strathdees led us in singing songs about the earth.  We had speakers from various countries who spoke about how climate change is affecting where they live.  We had fabric “salmon” that danced on poles held by the Danish group that I saw earlier.  They sang for us, too.  I was a communion server and stood near three of the “salmon” while people approached and took communion from us.

By this time all of the lantern lights had come on.  People placed their lanterns into the center of the circle.  We were reminded that the only light source around us was solar and that we can work toward renewable energy.  People admired the beautiful lanterns and gradually left.

I took apart a few lanterns but I was rather worried about traveling alone in the dark back to the church so I left.  Between the bus app and the GPS, I made it back okay.  Sarah was already asleep.  I think I’ll sleep well tonight.


Written on 5/12/2016

 


 




 


No comments: