Saturday, May 14, 2016

UMC General Conference, Day 4

This morning we took a bus to the convention center and went directly to Global Ministries in the exhibit hall so Sarah could get some help with a financial transfer her church is making to a mission project.  We learned that there would be some speakers soon so we hung around.  We learned about Mission Initiatives—growing our church in areas that are not currently being served.  Bishops from the Central Asia and Central Africa Conferences told us how they are starting new churches.  We chatted for a while with a young woman who works with Global Ministries and learned what she does.  On the way out we stopped at the United Methodist exhibit and picked up some small buttons; mine say “edgy,” “daring,” and “bold.” 

We walked over to the LYNC lunch and received franks and salad.  Once again we had the opportunity to meet new people.  After that we attended a flash tabernacle for an immigration vigil.  There was lots of singing and chanting, mostly in Spanish.  There were some great speakers which we heard in both Spanish and English plus signs with messages like “Stop the deportations!”  This was a short event , thank goodness, because it was hot in the sun.

We immediately went over to the camp out event with Rev. Mike Tupper and Rev. Frank Schaefer.  Mike is the pastor I met the other day who is camping out as a statement about our church excluding LGBT people.  Frank made national news when he was defrocked by the United Methodist Church for officiating at his gay son’s wedding.  There is a new movie out, “An Act of Love,” that tells his story.  Both men spoke and took questions.  Frank shared that his gay son is going to seminary but unless things change, he will be barred from becoming a pastor.  Frank is calling Mike “the tent prophet.”  Frank, his son, and Mike are camping out on the sidewalk there tonight.  I introduced myself to Frank, thanked him, and told him a little about Idaho, including that I got arrested.  We discussed the discrimination in our church and he told me he was not encouraged by what he had seen so far at General Conference.

Sarah left to see her friend for the weekend.  I went inside the convention center to sit and enjoy a cold drink.  I chatted a while with some people I know, then settled in at a table to rest and check email and Facebook.  It was very quiet; delegates were all in committee meetings.  I decided to go to the Jupiter Hotel to see what was happening.  It was quiet there too but I did get to chat with my friend, Gayle.  A guy came in with posters for the “An Act of Love” movie and he told us that he’s the filmmaker.  I talked with him briefly.  I met a woman named Marilyn from Nebraska and we went to the restaurant next door to have dinner.  Afterwards we went back to the Jupiter where there was supposed to be a meeting.  I ended up in a conversation with four other people.  We shared our experiences in the church, especially relating to inclusivity.  One woman shared that a Nigerian delegate stated that they had been told that gay people are devil worshipers but he had never met one himself.  A group of gay people introduced themselves to him.  It does seem that one step we need to take is to re-educate many of our African members who were misinformed by evangelicals.

It became clear there would be no meeting so I excused myself and hurried to catch the bus.  Unfortunately, the app gave me a stop that the bus driver didn’t know and we passed it.  He told me to get off and catch the bus going back the other way.  So I stood alone in the dark wondering when the next bus was coming.  I reprogrammed the trip planner, stumbled off to another bus stop, only to realize that I’d missed that bus.  The next try simply told me to walk ½ mile to the church. 

All was quiet when I walked in.  I was supposed to have a new roommate for the night but I didn’t see anyone.  I went downstairs and found Providence.  He said that there were three men sleeping but no woman.  He showed me a video of himself and several others singing earlier today.  He was so delighted with the results –for good reason.  It told him I had bus problems and he said he kept getting lost.  I showed him the bus app.  He is leading singing at worship in the morning but I told him I wasn’t sure I could get up that early.  We’ll see. . .

Written on 5/13/2016





 

No comments: